Photos: Constance Escobar
It's an old running joke between paulistas (natives of São Paulo) that the cariocas (from Rio) don't know a thing about pizza. Like every joke, this one, too, has a little bit of truth to it. But in recent years Rio restaurants - and pizzerias - have greatly improved.
Last month the owners of São Paulo's top pizza place, the Bráz, opened a second Rio outpost, in the glitzy Barra da Tijuca district (near the famed Barraca do Pepê beach kiosk).
The place is stunning, like all other casas Bráz, in a retro way. Exclusive to the Barra branch, the Barra Speciale is a pizza made with the exquisite burrata cheese, so delicate and soft.
But... truth be told, I'll stick to the original Bráz, in the Jardim Botânico district, much closer to Ipanema and Leblon, if I ever get a craving. Barra, for me, is just a little too far on the other side of the tracks. Or tunnels, rather...
Bráz Barra – Rua Érico Veríssimo 46
Tel.: (21) 2491-9533
And more dining in Rio on this blog:
- Roberta Sudbrack: the best chef in Rio?
- Terzetto Café: great breakfast spot in Ipanema
- The best restaurants in Rio according to the experts
- Bráz, Carlota... São Paulo restaurants open Rio outposts
- Where to eat bacalhau (cod): the best Portuguese restaurants
- Le Pré-Catalan at the Sofitel: when hotel dining is done right