There seems to be no end to fashion’s love affair with Brazil. This just in: Diane von Furstenberg, who is in São Paulo to launch her line of watches for top-jeweller H. Stern, called Sutra, had lunch with fashion journos today. She announced that next year she’ll open a store in Shopping Iguatemi – the best mall in town – and then a second one in Brasília, que country’s capital.
This news comes right after Marc Jacobs' whirlwind visit to São Paulo to open HIS boutique, a partnership with NK Store. Christian Louboutin was also there, to celebrate the opening of his flagship, also at the Shopping Iguatemi. Phew! I guess they're all sniffing the gold: Brazilians seem to be hurting little or not at all during the current recession.
La Furstenberg dazzled everyone with her mane of blondish hair, and her good looks at the press lunch which was held at Fasano, the poshest hotel in town.
For those out there who don’t already know this, here’s a summarized Diane von Furstenberg bio, from her site: She “first arrived in the fashion world in 1972 with her iconic wrap dress, the seed of what is today a full fashion house. By 1976, Diane had sold millions of her dresses, coming to symbolize female power and freedom to an entire generation. In 1997, after a hiatus from fashion, Diane reemerged on the New York fashion scene with the re-launch of the dress that had started it all and began transforming her company into the global luxury lifestyle brand it is today. In 2005, Diane was awarded the Lifetime Achievement Award from the Council of Fashion Designers of America (CFDA) for her impact on fashion, and one year later, was elected the CFDA's new president, an office she continues to hold. A firm believer in the power of women, Diane sits on the board of Vital Voices, a women's leadership organization that empowers emerging women leaders and social entrepreneurs around the world.”
More fashion and shopping in São Paulo:
- Marc Jacobs rocks the São Paulo fashion world and opens a flagship in town
- São Paulo Fashion Week: what is it?
- Rua Oscar Freire, in the Jardins district, has the best shopping
- The best beachwear: Lenny, Rosa Chá, Cia. Marítima
- Is/bella, Pelu, Jo de Mer and other Baixo Jardins finds
- Beach Couture: luxe beachwear in the Jardins district
- Christian Louboutin opens store in the Shopping Iguatemi mall
- Daslu, the Barneys New York of São Paulo: high luxe
- Who is Eliana Tranchesi, the owner of Daslu
- The flagship of Rio brand Farm, in Vila Madalena: a "living" lowrise designed by hyped architecture firm Triptyque